Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Days 20 & 21 ~ Chemistry, Night Market, and Acupuncture

The majority of days 20 and 21 were spent in the chemistry labs at China Medical University working to separate and purify fractions of a Chinese herbal extract to be used in later experimentation at the lab back in Taipei at Academia Sinica.  The notable exceptions are the evening of day 20 spent at the night market with students from Tunghai University, as well as an afternoon of acupuncture on day 21.  The night market we went to in Tunghai was less crowded and filled with more food varieties than we saw in Taipei.  Octopus, frozen banana sundaes, and avocado milk were just a few of the many different foods available.  After finding a delicious supper in the night market, many of the students split off to go to a Taiwanese night club.  Instead of going clubbing, I went off with some of the Tunghai students to a popular shopping area closer to campus for some fun conversation and clothes shopping.  The acupuncture on day 21 was a wholly unique experience for me.  Because traditional Chinese medicine is a large part of the culture here, acupuncture therapy had its own bay in the major hospital, something I've never seen before.  Our doctor was able to give us both an overview and demonstration of the specific acupuncture points he would use for specific ailments.  Afterwards he worked with each one of us individually, targeting specific areas of stress or pain.  I suffer from severe and frequent migraines, so I ended up with three acupuncture needles in my head, two in my neck, and one in my arm.  The placement of each of these needles is precise and careful.  I was surprised at the distinct lack of pain I felt.  From watching other students I could see that the needles he used were extremely small, thin, and sharp.  This allowed for needles to be inserted quite far into the body without causing any pain or severe discomfort.  I only felt pressure with the needles in my body.  And while I am often skeptical of traditional medicines and favor Western medicine, I must admit that after the acupuncture therapy, the targeted areas felt significantly less tense and stressed.  Overall my first experience with acupuncture proved to be an interesting and enlightening one, and I will definitely consider it in the future for potential ways to avoid a migraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment